Jesus Couldn't


I wonder how many of us have ever asked “Are there things God can’t do?” I mean if you are well interested in theology and divinity I hope you have faced such questions. This question came to bother me some years back and I still ask “Are there things God can’t do?”

Classical theology at best defines God’s omnipotence as God’s attribute of doing everything in the logical and moral realm. Hence, God cannot do an illogical and non-moral thing. For instance,

God cannot sin. (non-moral)

God cannot lie. (non-moral)

God cannot commit suicide. (Illogical)

God cannot kill God. (Illogical)

These are some of the things God cannot do. Why do I want to talk about this today? I have come across a new “Can’t, “and “Couldn’t” about God and humanity. Listen up friends, this is something serious.

The Gethsemane Dilemma

As much as I am thrilled and emotional to read the Gethsemane story of Christ, I also love to read it. There I see a Messiah who couldn’t. I see a messiah who wouldn’t. I see a king who is limited. I see the Son of God emptying himself. This is something the classical theology doesn’t like to engage with. I like it.

Jesus came to die for the sins of humanity (Although I believe this wasn’t his primary goal. We’ll talk about this some other time.) He came with mission from heaven and he knew what the Father’s plan was. He was born in Bethlehem. He grew up in Galilee. He lived in Nazareth town. He then ministered mainly in Judea. Remember, his mission was to die for humanity.

He them comes to the last days of his life on earth. He made more and more enemies than friends through his sermons although all of his sermons and parables were filled with love. Jesus then was on the verge of execution and he knew it all. Remember again, his mission was to die for the sins of mankind.

Then we see the Jesus of the Gethsemane, a very tired depressed and on the verge of giving up. Here came the “I can’t” time. What? He knew his mission. He knew the Father’s plan. What happened to Christ? There came what I and many others call the Gethsemane dilemma. Jesus was stressed and for someone who wish to see his beating heart at Gethsemane, I believe it says a kind of “I’m tired. I don’t think I can do this. Really, Father is that your will?”

Jesus couldn’t. I see this as a life lesson for all of us. There are moments, Gethsemane moments, in life where we feel very tired of doing things. Good things. Loving people. Starting a ministry. Feeding the hungry. Getting into godly relationship. We may become tired. Just like Jesus we become so depressed thinking about the coming cross in life that would save many but hurts us. We knew it would come but we feel to give up. We cannot go on with that. This is normal. It just means you couldn’t just like Jesus.

Elijah couldn’t. Another story of couldn’t would be that of the Old times prophet Elijah. Jezebel frightened this giant man of God. He fell under a tree, and said “I have given up. I do not have another space. I’m tired.” It’s so normal to feel this way. This is the Gethsemane moment of Elijah. Many men of God felt the same way.

It always amazes me to read that God never rebuked or judged Elijah or Jesus for feeling so down. God sent his angel to encourage both Jesus and Elijah. God doesn’t judge us when we are at Gethsemane moments. He understands us. He knows our scars. He knows our pains and fears. He knows our brokenness. He doesn’t judge us but sends his angels to support and encourage us.

Jesus wouldn’t

The Gethsemane dilemma, however, has a lot to say more than “I couldn’t”. It was not only where God’s omnipotence was shrink into self-emptying in the humility of Christ but also a place of divine struggle and win. The Gethsemane dilemma didn’t end with frustration or giving up. It ended with triumph. Jesus didn’t give upon humanity. Jesus didn’t give upon love.

The story tells us Jesus was tired. Jesus was stressed. Jesus was perhaps on the verge of giving up. Nonetheless, he was not ready to give up. The “I cannot do it,” time was also “I will not give up!” time. Just because he was weak and stressed and perhaps afraid of what would turnout, it doesn’t mean he was going to give up on love and humanity.  He struggled and fought with the stress and depression until the end. He didn’t give up.

How many time do we give upon people and ourselves? How many times do we end up in frustration after some trials? Perhaps the gethsemane story teaches to give another shot into God’s business. Jesus couldn’t handle the pressure but he wouldn’t give upon humanity. Because he wouldn’t give upon humanity, we are here telling this triumphant story called the gospel.

If I were asked to give one more exhortation in the new year, I would say, “Don’t give up!”

The Gethsemane Prayer

I love the Gethsemane prayer. The title of my last book was this prayer. “Father, thy will be done.” Jesus prayed over and over again seeking the will of his father. In the midst of grief and stress, He sought the will of his father. He couldn’t do it. He wouldn’t give up. And now he sought the will of his Father.

This is a very essential truth. Jesus was very dependent upon his Father. He was not emotion driven. His actions were not led by temporary emotional state. He sought the will of his father.
In the middle of couldn’t and wouldn’t, do we pursue the will of the Father? I mean do we pray to learn his will? After all, its’ not our willpower that sustains us, it is the grace of God. Do we trust enough the grace of God to lead us in the path of the will of God even though we end up at Calvary? I ask.

Let’s not so give up in this journey until we hear the voice of our savior, “Well done! My Good and Faithful servant.” Oh’ How sweet is that sound! How precious is that day! He knew we couldn’t do it. He knew we wouldn’t give up. He saw that we sought after his will. Imagine the joy on the face of our savior! Hallelujah!

Let me come back to the questions I begin with, “Are there things God can’t do?” Well, yes there are. Are there things we can’t do? Yes, there are. Should we give up on love and humanity because of the past scar, the present pain and the future cross? No, we shouldn’t give up. We struggle. We love. We’ll triumph in the end. We’ll say, “Thank God I didn’t give up!” just like Jesus, Elijah and many other good men of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Future Wife, the Difficult Truths You Should Know about Your Future Husband

Few Notes on my 26th Birthday

I want to live, a journey to and through nhilism